St. Petersburg is home to four institutions of higher learning that attract talent from around the nation.
Those who come to school here often fall in love with the area and stick around, bringing fresh energy and expertise to a variety of industries.We don’t blame them. This is a pretty cool place to work.
University of South Florida
At a Glance
USF St. Petersburg is Pinellas County’s only residential public research institution. Located on Bayboro Harbor in the City’s Innovation District, USFSP offers more than 40 undergraduate and graduate programs in three colleges: Arts & Sciences, Business and Education. A proud member of the USF System, USFSP is separately accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- USFSP is ranked #24 in the nation among Southern Regional Public Universities by U.S. News & World Report (2016).
- Affordable Schools.net ranks USFSP among its “25 Most Exclusive Public Bachelor’s Colleges by Admission Rate” (2016).
- U.S. News & World Report ranks USFSP’s Online MBA at #18 in the nation and #3 in Florida (2017). The USFSP Kate Tiedemann College of Business is accredited by AACSB International for both business and accounting, a double distinction held by only 1% of business schools globally.
- In 2011, USFSP earned the university-wide classification for Community Engagement by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of teaching.
- USFSP faculty work with major granting agencies, including the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation, the US Department of Education and the Department of Agriculture.
At a Glance
Eckerd College was founded as Florida Presbyterian College in 1960. The 188-acre campus along Boca Ciega Bay features a white-sand beach with swimming, boating, and sunbathing. The campus is a natural oasis with native plants and wildlife just 10 minutes from vibrant downtown Saint Petersburg.
The liberal arts school offers over 40 programs and majors. All students take classes across art, literature, and sciences to learn a wide variety of subjects and further deepen their education.
- Eckerd is home to 74 NOAA Hollings Scholars—more than any other college in the country.
- Eckerd offers students over 300 study abroad destinations every year.
- Eckerd College was named one of “40 Colleges That Change Lives.”
- Eckerd College hosts a sustainable campus and a LEED-certified residence hall. They provide 125 bikes for students to use for free as an alternative transportation.
- Eckerd College features world class faculty, with 95% holding the highest degree in their field.
- Of the Eckerd College students who enroll full-time continuously, 97% graduate within 4 years.
Stetson University College of Law
At a Glance
Stetson University College of Law was founded in 1900, and Florida’s first law school. The historic campus is located Gulfport, FL with a College of Law satellite campus in downtown Tampa, which opened in 2004. The campus is located just minutes from the beach, and a short drive from downtown St. Petersburg.
Stetson Law offers 5 J.D. concentration programs, 60 skills electives, and joint or dual-degrees in J.D./LL.M., J.D./M.B.A., and J.D./M.P.H. The campus features 7 courtrooms, sharing one with a working court, Florida’s Second District Court of Appeal.
- Stetson Law is ranked #1 for trial advocacy and #4 for legal writing by U.S. News & World Report.
- Stetson Law award-winning debate teams are internationally renowned and ranked #12 in Moot Court by preLaw magazine.
- Stetson offers more than 30 clinic and internship courses to give students hands-on, working experience.
- Stetson’s Institute for Biodiversity Law and Policy received the 2016 Distinguished Achievement in Environmental Law and Policy award from American Bar Association.
St. Petersburg College
At a Glance
St. Petersburg College (SPC) is a state college in the Florida College System, founded in 1927. It has on average 65,000 students across 11 campuses and centers across the Bay area, with four located in St. Petersburg.
SPC offers 4-year bachelor’s degrees and 2-year associate degrees with over 100 degree and certificate programs in total. SPC focuses on building students job skills and preparing graduate for a career.
- St. Petersburg College is #7 in the nation for awarding degrees in liberal arts & sciences, general studies, and humanities, when compared with similar institutions.
- SPC named a Leader College by Achieving the Dream in 2015, for St. Pete College’s commitment to improving student success.
- 90% of SPC graduates go on to work in their field, continue their education, or serve with the military.
- SPC is #12 in the nation for the number of associate degrees awarded in all disciplines, compared to all other 2 and 4-year programs.